Saturday, March 28, 2015

The SECRET of packing for an overnight trip


In honor of SPRING BREAK, today's tips I am posting about packing for an overnight trip. 
Let's just say I have ALOT of experience in this area.

For 8 years I traveled almost every weekend.  I mastered packing for 1-2 nights at a time.  I mostly packed for 2 night trips.  I would leave Friday after work and then come back on Sunday. I have a system that helps me be organized and not overpack.

Secret #1
Have a routine:
I am known for forgetting things while I am packing, but now I have a routine.  I usually pack the night before I leave, so I have plenty of time to think of what I need on my trip.
The first thing I do is pack:
 *one pair of pajamas
*under-garmets
*socks
Then, I think about what kind of clothes I want to wear on my little trip.  
I usually pack:
 *one wear around t-shirt/sweatshirt (I like a wear around shirt so I can wear it in-between doing things and on my way home)
*one nice outfit or an outfit that fits what I am doing (if I am going to visit a friend, I pack something I can wear during the day that is nice.  If I am going to a sports game/bike race I pack something comfortable)
I always try to incorporate what I am wearing there to help me not overpack.  I usually only bring one pair of jeans and will wear them on the way there and on the way home.  
NEXT
*I pack one extra pair of shoes (besides the ones I have on)
*I pack my jewelry in my jewelry bag
*I pack my toiletries bag and make up bag the morning/right before I leave
LAST
*I pack any for of entertainment for the trip (iPad, iPod, laptop, bible, etc.)

Secret #2
Have a TRAVEL bag(s)
I have several different travel bags/accessory bags for different uses.  
I don't want to have to unpack a ton when I come back.


*The first bag I always take with me is my Vera Bradley Large Duffle
I got this one in college, like seven years ago and it is FABULOUS.  It is HUGE and I call in the never ending bag because I can fit SO MUCH STUFF in it.  I love it second to my small Vera Bradley Duffle.  You can find them in a different color HERE.  They have select colors on sale for $59.50.  I love Tuttie Frutti, Plum Crazy and Clementine.

*The second "bag" I take with me is my travel toiletries bag.  I traveled so much when Josh lived out of town that I made my own little travel bag, and now I take it everywhere I travel.  This is probably 6+ years old and it is from Bath and Body Works.  It has a mini shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, face moisturizer, , contact case/solution, eye cream, make-up remover, toner, cotton balls, travel brush/comb, bobby pins, hair ties and lotion.  Yes, this sounds like a lot, but they are all mini/sample items so they fit awesome in my travel bag.  I have another small pouch for my toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and floss.  I keep them under my sink and never use anything in it unless I travel or stay overnight somewhere.  This helps me when I travel so I don't forget something, it's always just there.

*The third "bag" is my everyday make up bag.  I love a  little makeup bag that folds up.  It has mascara, eye shadow, and Clinique powder.  It's super simple because I don't wear a lot of makeup and makes it easy to travel.

I love it because it my regular make up and all I have to do is roll it up and go.  When I get home I take it out of my bag and put in my bathroom. 
 There is no transferring my make-up.  It makes unpacking so easy.

*The fourth and favorite bag is my Vera Bradley Jewelry bag.  I always keep a watch, ring and earrings in this bag and it stays on top of my jewelry box at home.  I put specific jewelry for my outfits in here too for my trip.  My ears and neck feel "naked" (I know I'm weird) without jewelry, so I always take my jewelry bag with me :).
This is my favorite bag!!  It is HERE in different colors!

Secret #3
Don't over pack
I always used to overpack when I first started traveling a lot.  It was annoying when I came back home and had to unpack a lot of stuff I didn't wear/use.  I am a believer if you pack in ahead of time and in an organized manner, it prevents you from over packing.  I always try to wear pajamas, jeans/pants and shoes more than once.  Shirts, undergarments and socks are different and I like those to be clean :).

I hope these tips help you pack for your next adventure!

What are your tips for packing?  I would love to hear them!  

,
-C-

No comments:

Post a Comment